Welcome to the New Trike Board

For all those of the motorized 3-wheel persuasion.

Moderator: WCLamb

sirpeter

Welcome to the New Trike Board

Post by sirpeter »

Americade now has it's own Trike Message Board. Thanks Americade!!!!

Here is where you can asked questions, get answers and find out what is happening in the Trike World.

We will also keep you informed on what is planned for Americade Trike Week held during Americade. If you have any suggestions, ideas just write them up and we will see what can be done...............SP

bickman80

trike board

Post by bickman80 »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

we now have a trike board. we should have a day to have a dinner at a restaurant at americade. also a place to have breakfast each morning. just a thought.
JACK GILROY GWRRA CHAP D ma ama americade staff . chapter educator. & district educator Image

PJ in Rochester

Post by PJ in Rochester »

And welcome back to the boards, Pete!!!!
'83 Yamaha Virago XV500; '02 Yamaha FZ1; BMW R1200GS!!!; Bianchi-Campion Italian Racing bicycle
STAR TOURING;STAR SOCIETY;ABATE;AMA;NRA
Image Image

cubbear

Post by cubbear »

Hi Mr Woodruff (sirpeter),

We attended your 'Trike' seminar at Americade this past June - we found it to be very informative...

We went to Victoria, Texas Harley Davidson today to trade in our Softail and purchase one of the very few, brand new, 2009, Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra Classic trikes....

It's beautiful - Sun-Glow something in color...

Mac had the Reverse added to the trike when we ordered it, thank goodness... But the Salesman heated it up and blew the fuse when he was going over all the doodads... Everything is new to them too as they've never had a Trike by Harley...

Problem is we didn't listen to what you said about someone who rides or buys a trike for the first time should take it out by themself and ride for about 1,000 miles by themselves... That's a little hard for me to swallow as we ride everywhere together and miles in the past have meant much to us...

Needless to say, the owner rode the bike back to our house and a worker or friend of his took us home in an SUV... At least the trike is in our garage...

The other thing is that Mac pulled a muscle in the calf of his right leg so riding the trike was out of the question anyway... If it's not better tomorrow we'll head down to the Emergency Room...

We love the Trike but have to refigure how we will travel and carry what we need - have different compartments, etc...

I won't get on the Trike until Mac has it down 100% and Mac will post a picture of it on our website within a couple days...

Very important: Very soon I have to change the wording under my beautiful logo... :lol:

'98 XLH 1200-Yes, A Sporty. 175K+ miles.
2007 FLSTC-Heritage Softail Classic - 32K+ miles.
2009 HD TriGlide - 25K+ miles through 09/02/2009.
RIP Mac - passed away 03/13/2010

Whitebeard

Post by Whitebeard »

Cubbear,
Welcome to the world of Trikes. :lol:
I was cautious, and didn't know quite what to expect :?:, when I had the InstaTrike Kit put on my bike a couple of years ago. Before leaving the dealer where I had it installed, I practiced on the back lot where the MSF course was taught. Slowly making some turns and figure 8's. It didn't take too long and I felt comfortable and took it on some side streets. Then just took it on lighter traveled roads on the way home.

Just no more countersteering/lean. It's push/pull on the bars. It won't take too long to get used to it. Biggest thing to look out for until to get used to it and expect it... going into/out of places such as a parking lot where the pavement angle changes from one slope to another or coming downhill on one road and turning onto another that's on the level, it tries to throw you as the rear changes angles. :shock: Just be ready for it and take it slow. Also heavily crowned roads where you used to ride straight up will now ride with the trike ride at the slant of the road surface.

It won't take Mac long to get used to it and he'll be ready to take you along, then you'll be ready to continue your GREAT adventures. :lol: :D :wink:

Wally
Image a.k.a. "Santa"

member of FORBS
(Fraternal Order of Real Bearded Santas) and Clan Claus Society

Keeping the "Twinkle" in my eye and the Spirit of Christmas in my Heart

TJNY

Post by TJNY »

Congrats on the new trike, I didn't even know Harley was making one, hmmmmmmmmm??? LOL. Looking forward to the pictures. Hey, did you forget that the economy was in sad shape, LOL. Enjoyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Spiritdream

Post by Spiritdream »

Congratulations!! Let me know how it rides, please? I so want a HD, but I've been leaning more towards a Champion or California Side Car conversion - I have a Lehman on my Suzuki C50 and it can be a bit rough on the bumps, but I'm hoping it's the shocks (or rider error! LOL). If they've worked that out for the HD, I'll be sold because I really prefer the solid suspension!! :D

TJ, the Harley Tri Glide Ultra Classic is through Harley's arrangement with Lehman trikes. HD makes the front end and Lehman does trike part, then the Harley dealerships sell them.

cubbear

Post by cubbear »

Spiritdream wrote:TJ, the Harley Tri Glide Ultra Classic is through Harley's arrangement with Lehman trikes. HD makes the front end and Lehman does trike part, then the Harley dealerships sell them.
On this statement I'll have to let Mac answer it as this bike is strickly HD and nowhere does it say Lehman - I 'think' they've changed the way we all thought it would be...

Also, there is no way I'd ride in a side car - absolutely 'no way' but will keep the board advised as to our 'adventures'...

One of my sisters in Connecticut calls it a 'tricycle'... :lol: That's what we rode when we were growing up... :lol:

Wally, I certainly do appreciate your advice on riding the trike and I'll make sure Mac reads it - sure does sound good...

TJ, what economy - someone has to keep it going... We posted about the trike back in July/August and Gomo added a link to a fantastic site on this same harley trike - harley didn't even have the info on their webssite.

Maybe Gomo will post it again - please...?

Oh, just want to say the dealer told us yesterday that Harley is only making 2,500 of these trikes for 2009 to see how they sell so we feel honored to be one of the 2500...

You all started me off here - I went out to the garage and got on and off the trike with no problem - but I'll still practice... We'll be at the Cybercade gathering in LG on the Saturday before Americade starts even if it rains...!!! 8)

Checked out the trunk - really have some changes to do in our packing...

Mac is resting his leg today - still quite sore...

Spiritdream

Post by Spiritdream »

cubbear wrote:On this statement I'll have to let Mac answer it as this bike is strickly HD and nowhere does it say Lehman - I 'think' they've changed the way we all thought it would be...
I have a friend who just ordered one, and the dealer told her it was a Harley with a Lehman kit, "factory conversion". You should be able to tell for sure by the paperwork - you would have gotten a Certificate of Origin for the bike, and one for the trike portion - if it's done by Lehman still, the CO for the trike should have their name on the top (it did on my Suzuki trike).

Lehman does two other conversions - the Renegade for the Road Glide and Road King models, and a Raider for the Sportster models - but I believe their "agreement" with HD was that the Tri Glide Ultra was to be a Harley branded trike. Not all that unusual - a lot of the things we buy one brand of is actually made by someone else (think Lexus, which is actually produced by Toyota).
cubbear wrote:Oh, just want to say the dealer told us yesterday that Harley is only making 2,500 of these trikes for 2009 to see how they sell so we feel honored to be one of the 2500...
Now this I believe you'll see change!!! So far the people I've talked to have actually been put on waiting lists - some for up to 4 months!! - so I believe HD will have no choice but to ramp up production, if not now then most definitely for the start of next year! With any luck, I may be one of the ones on a list come springtime!!

At any rate, congrats on the new trike!! Big change from a traditional bike, but there are just SOOO many "pros" to it, you'll quickly forget any "cons" about the change! With any luck, I'll get a chance to see it at Americade - if I promise not to drool on it, can I get close to it? :wink:
Cheri
2007 Suzuki C50 Boulevard/Lehman Tramp Trike
MMA; GWRRA; TOI-MA

Let your dreams run wild....be brave enough to follow...Author Unknown

WCLamb
Staffer

Post by WCLamb »

cubbear wrote:"...Checked out the trunk - really have some changes to do in our packing..."
Peggy -
After seeing the photo below -- If that's what you'll be riding, I can DEFINITELY see a cycle-trailer in your future. With the way you two travel all over this continent, I fail to see how you've survived this long without one as it is. It's so nice to be able to take along what you want and not just what you need, especially with your camera and laptop as "standard luggage" on your trips.

A trailer is an added expense -- to be sure -- and will bring with it a slight decrease in overall gas mileage... but it's well worth the convenience and capability that it affords. The big things with trailering are:

1) to ensure you have all the materials you will need to secure it to an unmovable object for overnight or longer-term parking at your motel,

2) tp remember that it's "there" when picking a parking place (pull-through is best), and

3) to remember that the extra weight of trailer and contents will require a change in riding style, leaving significantly more room for braking, especially from higher speeds. (Trailers have a tendency to keep pushing you when you want to slow down.)

Good luck with the new scooter! Just make sure Mac keeps all three wheels on the (paved) ground! :wink:

cubbear

Post by cubbear »

I have a friend who just ordered one, and the dealer told her it was a Harley with a Lehman kit, "factory conversion".

I really don't take much stock in what most Harley dealers and/or their workers say - most of the time they don't know as much as experienced riders do.

We did our homework and we even stopped into the Lehman Trike plant in Spearfish, SD just before the Sturgis Rally this past July...

On that particular day, Harley was to post all their new models for 2009 on their website and those were the only bikes to be built for 2009, per a Harley representative from Wisconsin, phone call Mac had made to them.

While in Spearfish, there was a lady from Harley who was feverishly trying to add the 2009 Tri Glide Trike to the list - she couldn't do it and neither could Wisconsin.

A call to our Victoria, Texas Harley dealer during the same time period - the owners/pertinet folks were at a Harley Dealers Convention in Las Vegas - After their questions/insistance they were shown a 2009 Tri Glide.

Mac had talked to the Victoria sales person during this time and Mac told them he wanted the first one as they were supposed to get two... We were told the bike wouldn't be in until October or November which was fine with us and we didn't have a color choice.

This is the trike we picked up on Friday - they never did get a second trike in and don't know when they will. There were a number of people who saw the trike at the dealers and they wanted to buy it - a gentleman called every day to see if we had changed our mind as he wanted it so badly...

Cheri, your silver trike picture does not look like our trike - and ours does not have a Lehman Converstion Kit.

WC - thanks for the info on the trailer but not our style :lol: something else we'd have to worry about... Don't get me wrong, there are some beautiful ones out there but then I'd have to decide what I wanted to take and what we needed - I hate making decisions... :cry:

Your comment about having Mac keep the 3 wheels on the 'paved' ground - his response is that he has to keep his feet on the foot guard (or whatever it's called) and not on the ground - a habit he has to break...

Were you looking at our picture from our website when you said "After seeing the photo below - " It's big - I went out to the garage and got on it again - Mac is still hobbling (sp) quite a bit...

Gerry

Post by Gerry »

[quote="cubbear"]Hi Mr Woodruff (sirpeter),

That would be Sun Glow Red. GREAT COLOR.. I just got a 09 Street Glide in that color. All past bikes were Black , so this is a real change for me. My Wife said next I'll be asking her to Dye her Hair. :lol:
GOOD LUCK with the new RIDE.. And Take care of Mac's Leg.. 8)

TJNY

Post by TJNY »

My dad just loved redheads, but my mom was the atypical Italian, LOL.

cubbear

Post by cubbear »

Gerry wrote:
cubbear wrote:Hi Mr Woodruff (sirpeter),

That would be Sun Glow Red. GREAT COLOR.. I just got a 09 Street Glide in that color. All past bikes were Black , so this is a real change for me. My Wife said next I'll be asking her to Dye her Hair. :lol:
GOOD LUCK with the new RIDE.. And Take care of Mac's Leg.. 8)
I bet your bike is beautiful, Gerry... I love that your wife says 'next you'll be asking her to Dye her hair' - I don't Dye my hair but I color it 'blond' - a time that I went to the beauty parlor in Florida, they made the color RED - no, that isn't me..

I found the link GOMO had posted back in July regarding the info on the Harley Trike - fantastic info so I've posted the link here:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_P ... 833&Page=1#

Reading it - it says the Trike colors are vivid black; dark blue pearl or Red Hot Sunglo. Regardless, it's beautiful :lol: ...

Mac was able to walk, very gingerly today, and it feels better to him each day - stopped in and did 'early voting'...

Think he'll wait until Monday to practice on the trike...

Whitebeard

Post by Whitebeard »

A tip for Mac, be aware of the width of the trike when pulling up alongside a curb and/or gas pump. You need to allow for the width of the rear to prevent running the rear tires/wheel into the curb or gas pump base.
Wally
Image a.k.a. "Santa"

member of FORBS
(Fraternal Order of Real Bearded Santas) and Clan Claus Society

Keeping the "Twinkle" in my eye and the Spirit of Christmas in my Heart