Trike Training

For all those of the motorized 3-wheel persuasion.

Moderator: WCLamb

sirpeter

Trike Training

Post by sirpeter »

Looks like we are getting some new trike riders out there, which is great. The key to having fun on a trike is TRAINING. You no longer ride, you drive a trike, you can lean all day and the trike will go straight. You can not Counter Steer a trike because if you push right you will now go left. Get out there and put some slow miles on the trike, a parking lot is a good place to start, then work your way up and before long you will really start to have fun. I can still remember my first ride, pulled up to a stop sign and put my left foot down to hold the trike up. WELCOME to the World of Triking. A trailer behind the trike will soon be there. :lol:

delivron

Post by delivron »

Peter

I am not a trike rider but what about a trike course at Americade?
Will there be one?

Spiritdream aka Cherie would be an excellent canidate.

Pottersville, NY - Americade Country

delivron@nycap.rr.com

sirpeter

Post by sirpeter »

Sorry, no Trike course (Riding) is planned for 2009. A good idea, I'll start looking for space (Large parking lot) and see what we can do in 2010.

Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Pete, there is a K-mart, and an airport in South Glens Falls, BOTH with large flat parking lots. You might try looking into there. And it is not that far from LGV. Maybe 20 minutes or so from RBR.
ImageImage

delivron

Post by delivron »

Peter - Parking Lots

Adirondack Community College - Contact -
Adirondacks & Beyond Motorcycle Tours (11)
Marc Connely
Address and phone number is available on request. I thing Margie might shoot me if i posted her home number.

marc@adkmc.com
Marc is Margie's Husband and teaches Motorcycle Safey for MANYS and also Lee Parks. You have most likely met him

I think I can gets access to a Parking Lot that is deserted in June in Pottersville south end of Schroon Lake with no traffic. And it is protected from the road so you don't get 4 wheelers watching and rear ending each other.

Both could be available this year.

Pottersville, NY - Americade Country

delivron@nycap.rr.com

ladyff1481

Post by ladyff1481 »

I would love to get some Trike Training. Keep us all posted.

cubbear

Post by cubbear »

ladyff1481 wrote:I would love to get some Trike Training. Keep us all posted.
I'm just a passenger but have to ask you: Are you riding your trike to Americade and then would want "...some Trike Training"...?

'98 XLH 1200-Yes, A Sporty. 175K+ miles.
2007 FLSTC-Heritage Softail Classic - 32K+ miles.
2009 HD TriGlide - 25K+ miles through 09/02/2009.
RIP Mac - passed away 03/13/2010

ladyff1481

Post by ladyff1481 »

My bike is being being converted to a Trike and will be ready for her debut at Americade but we also will be trailering it there. Therefore I will be in need of "Trike Training." I have a Sportster being converted with a Roadsmith kit so it won't be a big Trike. All the same it is a Trike and it will be a whole new experience on wheels.
Last edited by ladyff1481 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiritdream

Post by Spiritdream »

cubbear wrote:I'm just a passenger but have to ask you: Are you riding your trike to Americade and then would want "...some Trike Training"...?
Well, I'm not ladyff but I'll answer for myself here - yes! I've had my trike since July 07 - I rode to Americade last year, and finances willing I'll do it again this year. I do ok for someone with no trike training or even any prior riding experience (2 OR 3 wheels), but there are a few things I could use hands on help with, and probably some bad habits that training would help me avoid. Also, MSF courses teach some emergency skills as part of their training, but it's hard for me to visualize doing some of them on a trike - I'm (personally) hoping some trike training might help there as well. Instinct and self-training will only take me so far....I may end up taking the sidecar course here in MA, and hope it's applicable to a trike.
Cheri
2007 Suzuki C50 Boulevard/Lehman Tramp Trike
MMA; GWRRA; TOI-MA

Let your dreams run wild....be brave enough to follow...Author Unknown

WCLamb
Staffer

Post by WCLamb »

Spiritdream wrote:"...I do ok for someone with no trike training or even any prior riding experience (2 OR 3 wheels), but there are a few things I could use hands on help with, and probably some bad habits that training would help me avoid.
Cheri -
You are probably better off beginning on a trike because when you go from two wheels to three, you have to un-learn some old habits to develop new ones. What works with a 2-wheeler rarely works with three. Or so I've been told. Having never ridden a trike, all I can do is relate what I've heard over and over. I've known a few in GWRRA who converted their bikes to trikes and found the experience to be SO different... mostly because you steer instead of countersteer... that in a "panic situation" it's all too easy to do the wrong thing. By not having learned to ride on 2 wheels first, you don't have to worry about that.

Spiritdream wrote:"...Also, MSF courses teach some emergency skills as part of their training, but it's hard for me to visualize doing some of them on a trike - I'm (personally) hoping some trike training might help there as well. Instinct and self-training will only take me so far....I may end up taking the sidecar course here in MA, and hope it's applicable to a trike.
I think you're making a sound decision to get training, but I don't think sidecar training will give what you need because the characteristics of a hack and a trike are so different. The only thing they have in common is three wheels, but the dynamics, geometry and physics of the two are so different that a whole different skill-set is needed. If you go to sign up for a sidecar course with the trike, I'm sure the course instructors will tell you if you're wasting your time or making a mistake wanting to take the course.

Spiritdream

Post by Spiritdream »

WCLamb wrote:I think you're making a sound decision to get training, but I don't think sidecar training will give what you need because the characteristics of a hack and a trike are so different. The only thing they have in common is three wheels, but the dynamics, geometry and physics of the two are so different that a whole different skill-set is needed. If you go to sign up for a sidecar course with the trike, I'm sure the course instructors will tell you if you're wasting your time or making a mistake wanting to take the course.
I totally agree with you about the dynamics, etc, which is why I haven't done it before. I should probably have clarified a bit more (the pitfalls of "chatting" without my morning coffee. :lol: )...

My riding friend is an instructor for one of the MSF schools here in MA, and has been at me for a while now to try the sidecar course. I have explained, several times, that a bike is different from a sidecar rig is different from a trike etc etc etc - now that she's ridden a Spyder she has some idea what I mean, although she still doesn't completely understand how that differs from a rig or a trike, etc except for the steer vs lean. :roll:

Anyway, a few months ago she was at me again to take the sidecar course....I was considering it, if for no reason other than curiosity, but it's only offered on Fridays and I work (the curiosity wasn't enough to make me waste a vacation day!). She asked a few weeks ago why I hadn't called the owner so I explained about the Friday only class.....apparently the owner wants to talk to me because he wants to see what interest is out there for a trike class before commiting to an actual schedule, and he wants me to come in for a Saturday class. It will be under the "heading" of a sidecar, but if people bring their trikes he'll tailor the instruction for trike specific issues, and if there's enough interest he's going to see about adding a trike course to the curriculum. (Wish she'd explained all this BEFORE winter set in!! :roll: ) She's assured me that the instructor is experienced in both sidecar and trikes, although I still want to talk to the owner first about that.
Cheri
2007 Suzuki C50 Boulevard/Lehman Tramp Trike
MMA; GWRRA; TOI-MA

Let your dreams run wild....be brave enough to follow...Author Unknown