Americade 2020!

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

Ameri-helper

Americade 2020!

Post by Ameri-helper »

Hi Everyone,

We want to help advise what we should offer in 2020.

Many (all?) of you provided excellent feedback on Americade 2019 via our emailed questionnaire in June. However, this Forum is an excellent place to tell us what you'd like to see next June (because the Americade elves are busily working on creating next years event now).

1. Do you have a new non-riding event idea that you'd like us to consider? Tell us!

2. What guided or unguided ride concept would you like us to consider?

3. Do you have some other suggestion that you want us to chew on? Let's hear it!

Thanks!

GSinNC

Re: Americade 2020!

Post by GSinNC »

It seems that Americade has gotten a bit more life this past year ... I hope so. The vendors seems a bit better but improving the Expo would be great. More vendors and more offering functional stuff and a focus on Adventure Touring. Common knowledge that the adventure touring segment of motorcycling is hot and sport touring as well. So a focus on that segment would be great. Vendors offering quality riding gear and quality functional stuff. I realize some of this is done at Dirt Daze but would be nice to see it here as well.

I like the Day Pass process and being able to buy them in advance. That was a nice add!

Been attending every year since 1990 (except for 3 years) and still enjoy the event. I just hate that I'm no longer one of the youngins !
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2018 BMW R1200GS

Justinfive-o

Post by Justinfive-o »

I'd be real happy to see the unguided to Whiteface/ Lake Placid bbq lunch place brought back. I was disappointed that it was left off in '19, especially since I had psyched friends up for it.
Last edited by Justinfive-o on Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W. P. Schreiber

Post by W. P. Schreiber »

I was surprised to see the Ride to the Vermont Country Store and Restaurant gone for the last 3 years; it always seemed so popular and well attended. No real problem though, we just set the GPS and go on our own.

Ameri-helper

Post by Ameri-helper »

GSinNC wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:47 am
It seems that Americade has gotten a bit more life this past year ... I hope so. The vendors seems a bit better but improving the Expo would be great. More vendors and more offering functional stuff and a focus on Adventure Touring. Common knowledge that the adventure touring segment of motorcycling is hot and sport touring as well. So a focus on that segment would be great. Vendors offering quality riding gear and quality functional stuff. I realize some of this is done at Dirt Daze but would be nice to see it here as well.

I like the Day Pass process and being able to buy them in advance. That was a nice add!

Been attending every year since 1990 (except for 3 years) and still enjoy the event. I just hate that I'm no longer one of the youngins !
Hi Ed,

Thanks. We've been improving the expo over the past few years, and are happy with its direction too.

Regarding Adventure Touring, we will look into adding more of it in 2020. With the move of DirtDaze (to August), there is a small need to offer some Adv activities and vendors.

Thanks for coming for so many years! You're not alone with your grey hairs...

Ameri-helper

Post by Ameri-helper »

Justinfive-o wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:28 pm
I'd be real happy to see the unguided to Whiteface/ Lake Placid bbq lunch place brought back. I was disappointed that it was left off in '19, especially since I had psyched friends up for it.
In the past few years, we've started introducing new tours, and rotating tours, at a much higher rate than in the past. This keeps things fresh, but it also means we need to make room for them, which is a tough choice. But, the Lake Placid tour (and the Vermont Country Store tour) IS a good one, and you'll see it back in the lineup in the future.

That said, seeing people mention them on this forum helps nudge us in the directions you want. So, keep nudging.

Justinfive-o

Post by Justinfive-o »

Ameri-helper wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:01 pm
Justinfive-o wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:28 pm
In the past few years, we've started introducing new tours, and rotating tours, at a much higher rate than in the past. This keeps things fresh, but it also means we need to make room for them, which is a tough choice. But, the Lake Placid tour (and the Vermont Country Store tour) IS a good one, and you'll see it back in the lineup in the future.

That said, seeing people mention them on this forum helps nudge us in the directions you want. So, keep nudging.
Thanks for the reply. Consider yourself nudged!

Ryck

Post by Ryck »

Ameri-helper wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:01 pm
I like the new tours. I watch for them. But I also like the old ones. Particularly the Vermont High Gaps. I take that tour at every Americade.

I guess attendance levels of each tour tells you which are hits, misses, or past their lifetime.

Poindxter

Post by Poindxter »

i posted this same thing in another thread but here goes:
Better music at the block Party?

WCLamb
Staffer

Post by WCLamb »

I'd be real happy to see the unguided to Whiteface/ Lake Placid bbq lunch place brought back.

Justin K. -
I am in somewhat agreement with your comment, but in all my years going up Whiteface, I always opted to do it as a solo ride rather than a group ride because it was so weather-dependent. No sense riding up the toll road if it was foggy at the top, especially knowing that one couldn't do a safe U-Turn and return to the bottom of the hill if you changed your mind going up. You'd never hear a descending auto or bike through the fog while trying to get turned around. Better to plan it as a solo event and not lock in where lunch would -- or might -- be missed because the weather didn't permit a safe ride up and down the mountain, especially if you wouldn't see anything from atop the mountain anyhow. Better to plan on an ascent on a day when you knew what the weather would be like before going up.

hardlyable

Post by hardlyable »

I remember the Howe Cavern tour, the Steele Wheels tour, I miss some of the old tours, but like trying the new tours.
Maybe bring back some of the tours from Americade/Aspencade East beginnings.

RadianGuy

Post by RadianGuy »

The 2020 dates on the website say 2nd thru the 6th. Is that correct?

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650

Justinfive-o

Post by Justinfive-o »

WCLamb wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:12 am
I'd be real happy to see the unguided to Whiteface/ Lake Placid bbq lunch place brought back.

Justin K. -
I am in somewhat agreement with your comment, but in all my years going up Whiteface, I always opted to do it as a solo ride rather than a group ride because it was so weather-dependent. No sense riding up the toll road if it was foggy at the top, especially knowing that one couldn't do a safe U-Turn and return to the bottom of the hill if you changed your mind going up. You'd never hear a descending auto or bike through the fog while trying to get turned around. Better to plan it as a solo event and not lock in where lunch would -- or might -- be missed because the weather didn't permit a safe ride up and down the mountain, especially if you wouldn't see anything from atop the mountain anyhow. Better to plan on an ascent on a day when you knew what the weather would be like before going up.
Hey Bill...
We did it as an unguided, wouldn't consider it (or anything at this point) as a guided. The weather is what it is but the bbq lunch place in downtown Lake Placid was REALLY good. Beat Tail O' The Pup! (and I actually like TOTP).
At least Whiteface is a relatively easy ride on good pavement compared to Mts. W and Equinox.
JK

Ameri-helper

Post by Ameri-helper »

RadianGuy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 pm
The 2020 dates on the website say 2nd thru the 6th. Is that correct?
Hi RadianGuy,

Though we always kick off Americade Week with the Rider Opening Celebration on Monday (June 1st), we publish the Tuesday date (June 2nd) to everyone. But, our little "* Rider Opening Celebration kicks things off on Monday, June 1st" is missing from our page (someone's omission). So, thanks for the heads up, and we'll re-add it.

whiplash

Post by whiplash »

1st- Great to see the message board back. 2nd- keep up the good work on finding new tours. In all my years I only repeated 1 tour as it had a new route.
Last- I echo about trying to get more vendors back to Tour Expo. I really miss the ones who did installations (like lights, horns, electrical, etc.). I do understand the reality that with internet sales so popular many vendors no longer travel. I don't know if that is the case here but hoping thtere is some way you can entice some of them to return as ones that were here always seemed t be busy.