MCN gone!

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

whiplash

MCN gone!

Post by whiplash »

I got a letter saying Motorcycle Consumere News has gone under. Very sad. It was my favorite. Always turned to Fred Rau's page 1st when getting it. Perhaps Fred can enlighten us here about what happened so suddenly.

Freditor

Re: MCN gone!

Post by Freditor »

I suppose to the average subscriber it seemed like the demise of MCN was something "sudden," but in fact the writing was on the wall, so to speak, for several years. Like virtually all print publications, MCN's paid subscriber base had been shrinking slowly ever since the advent of online, internet-based communications. The original, parent company through which Bob Carpenter and I launched MCN nearly 30 years ago, and which owned more than a dozen magazine titles, went bankrupt about four years ago. Since then, MCN has passed through the hands of several owners, all of whom made valiant efforts to keep it afloat, all to no avail. With zero ad-based revenue and a subscriber base that had shrunk from a high of about 72,000 readers to only about 20,000 last year, there simply wasn't enough money coming in to keep it going. In fact, the only thing that kept it afloat the past couple of years was the dedication of the remaining staff, all of whom agreed to substantial pay cuts in hope of keeping MCN alive.
Obviously, the pain was the worst for myself and those faithful readers who had stayed with us since the beginning. I am just thankful for the 30 years I had, for being a part of the birth and evolution of the publication, and for being allowed to stay on board all the way to the end.
Thanks to you all for your incredible support...I will miss you all.
Fred Rau

Ryck

Post by Ryck »

whiplash wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:38 pm
I got a letter saying Motorcycle Consumere News has gone under. Very sad. It was my favorite. Always turned to Fred Rau's page 1st when getting it. Perhaps Fred can enlighten us here about what happened so suddenly.
Awwww.

I liked that magazine. Haven't seen it in a while. I don't think they ever sent me a renewal.

Sad.

Ryck

Post by Ryck »

Freditor wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:47 pm
Thanks to you all for your incredible support...I will miss you all.
Fred Rau
I'll miss the magazine, your articles, the reviews, the tips, the articles from other great writers, everything. :(