Americade 2020

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

Mainah

Re: Americade 2020

Post by Mainah »

I'm sad to see that Americade has been canceled. I understand that the team worked very hard to make the many changes necessary for the date change while trying to keep up with the state's ever-changing requirements. I think the government's response to the virus was an attempt to reduce the infection rate, but it failed. It seems that it just extended the duration of the infections and caused the failure of many small businesses.
I hope Americade and Lake George merchants can survive and come back stronger than ever.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

WCLamb
Staffer

Post by WCLamb »

Mainah wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:03 pm
I'm sad to see that Americade has been canceled. It seems that it just extended the duration of the infections and caused the failure of many small businesses. I hope Americade and Lake George merchants can survive and come back stronger than ever.
It's gonna' be a struggle for sure, since the vacation season is so short in Lake George to begin with. The season typically goes only from July 4th to Columbus Day and gets its head start with Americade and the crowd the rally brings in. Without the "kickoff" from Americade's influx of people this year, I won't be surprised if many of the businesses we've come to depend upon closed up shop after the dismal start this year. As motels change ownership during the winter months, how many are/were prepared for a shortened season this year? Mortgages still need to be paid, and the help that keeps those places running may have left for greener pastures. Survival itself will be iffy, and survival to become stronger is a fool's bet at this point. Restaurants rarely had decent waitstaffs for Americade because they didn't want to pay folks for the weeks between Americade and the later vacation season. But even those businesses will likely struggle. Only time will tell who wins and who loses. It'll take all year to find out, and if a vaccine/cure isn't available by spring 2021, even next year might be a thin crowd.

wildwillie
Site Admin

Post by wildwillie »

16 states were on the NYS Quarantine List when Christian cancelled Americade 2020 several weeks ago. Currently there are 31!
There is no doubt that he made the correct decision, even though it was very costly for us, having worked 13 months for an event that could not happen.
Subsequently, most every other organized event around here has canceled. C’mon 2021 !